Construction on Durban's stadium being built for the 2010 Soccer World Cup is set to come to a halt when workers down tools, the National Union of Mineworkers announced on Wednesday.
Bonginkosi Mncwabe, Num's regional coordinator, said 1200 workers would be downing tools over project bonuses, sub-contractors' back-pay and safety issues.
He said that the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) had issued a certificate of non-resolution.
Mncwabe said the unions had campaigned for subcontractors to meet minimum wage requirements for the civil engineering sector.
"They (the consortium) agreed to it, but what about all the time they (the workers) have worked so far?
"There must be backpay."
The unions are demanding project bonuses of R1200 a month for each worker. Initially, R9 an hour had been demanded.
He said the unions were also demanding that a safety and compliance officer be appointed who would be acceptable to the workers. The consortium's management had said the union should pay for the officer.
eThekwini municipal city manager Mike Sutcliffe could not be reached for comment.
Comment was not immediately available from the Group Five - WBHO consortium.
Sapa
Publisher: I-Net Bridge
Source: I-Net Bridge

