Building on tight deadline for 2010

Posted On Thursday, 19 October 2006 02:00 Published by eProp Commercial Property News
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Danny Jordaan has admitted that the completion dates for the upgrade and construction of 10 stadiums are tight

Danny JordaanDanny Jordaan, the 2010 Fifa World Cup Local Organising Committee CEO, on Wednesday admitted that the completion dates for the upgrade and construction of 10 stadiums were tight, with little room for error.

Starting today, members of the 2010 board will be holding a two-day meeting to discuss a proposal to speed up construction to ensure the stadiums are completed in time.

Speaking on Wednesday, Jordaan said there would be a "tight planning, monitoring and control process" to ensure that municipalities responsible for building and upgrading the stadiums, finished them on time.

"You must be mindful of the tight schedule we face in many cases... and just like any building, there are unforeseen factors that can cause delays such as rain and labour issues," he said.

Local Organising Committee chairman Irvin Khoza said officials had been notified that building must begin in January or February next year.

The new stadiums, to be constructed in Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Polokwane and Mpumalanga, have to be completed by October 2009 and the upgraded stadiums must be finished by December 2008.

A technical team, including civil engineers, architects and surveyors, has been appointed by the board to help local authorities and report back to the board.

Jordaan said there had been consultation with the construction industry on the deadlines.

"They all felt the deadlines were realistic," he said.

Companies have also assured the committee that there will be sufficient cement to meet project demands, after concerns raised by industry that infrastructure upgrades, the new stadiums and the Gautrain Rapid Rail link would strain cement supplies.

"Construction companies have given their assurance that the issue of cement shortages will not be a problem," said Khoza.

Jordaan denied that SA was behind schedule.

"Generally, we are on track and ahead of where Germany was at the comparative phase," he said. "We are ahead of the schedule between us and Fifa and they are happy with our progress."

Jordaan said discussions had been held with SA's hospitality sector and the country would be able to accommodate 55,000 fans, as required by Fifa.

Transport and security plans were also on track and the committee was confident that it would be able ensure the safety of visitors to the country.

 

Last modified on Monday, 04 November 2013 08:39

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.