Councillors outraged over parking cutback on square

Posted On Tuesday, 08 January 2008 02:00 Published by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Nelson Mandela Bay councillors are bitter that they are now allowed to park their vehicles on Market Square only during full council meetings

By Max Matavire

Nelson Mandela Bay councillors are bitter that they are now allowed to park their vehicles on Market Square only during full council meetings.

Even visitors coming to business meetings now have to look for parking behind the City Hall.

Since the beginning of this month, traffic access into the square is now controlled by a boom manned by security staff.

Those allowed access on ordinary days are only mayor Nondumiso Maphazi, her mayoral committee members, municipal manager Graham Richards, chief whip Mike Nzotoyi and executive directors.

Councillors are upset that executive directors now have more privileges than “democratically elected” public representatives.

Richards took the decision in consultation with Maphazi.

What irks the councillors – of all political affiliations – is that the matter was not debated in council, and that there was no consultation. They were not notified in writing or even verbally. They also say the decision was taken without providing them with alternative parking.

The municipality has justified its actions, saying: “Because of the damage that vehicles are causing to the surface of the square, the municipal manager issued this directive that a very small portion of the square be kept only for the mayor, her 10 mayoral committee members, the municipal manager and executive directors.

“Outside the square, there is also a parking area for visiting councillors. When the council is sitting, the square is open to all councillors,” said municipal spokesman Lourens Schoeman.

Although Schoeman could not give more details of the restrictions, sources in the municipality said there were fears that if many vehicles were parked on the square, it might collapse as there was a stream running underneath.

ANC chief whip Mike Nzotoyi, who is among the chosen few allowed to park on the square, said municipal engineers had found that the ground beneath the square and in front of the Reserve Bank was “shaky” when under pressure from the weight of vehicles.

“In front of the City Hall, and down to the Reserve Bank, that floor is getting weaker each time and can collapse.

“Studies by engineers have revealed that the ground is shaky, as the soil is sagging underneath,” Nzotoyi said.

Only last month about 10 councillors were ticketed by traffic police for parking illegally on the yellow line in Military Road, across the road from the Old Wool Exchange.

Councillors have always parked there illegally during full council meetings because of the shortage of parking space.

UDM councillor Mongameli Bobane called the decision disturbing. “We are the democratically elected representatives of the people, and to give first preference to executive directors, who are our employees, is shocking.”

ANC councillor Veliswa Ndidi said she disagreed with the idea. “I do not remember receiving any correspondence notifying me about the changes.”

DA caucus leader Leon de Villiers said it was selfish of the mayor to take such a decision.

Councillor Terry Herbst said the move would also affect churchgoers at St Mary‘s Cathedral.


Publisher: I-Net Bridge
Source: I-Net Bridge

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.