New prisons proceeding as planned: Balfour

Posted On Tuesday, 23 May 2006 02:00 Published by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Construction of the eight "new generation" prisons is proceeding as planned despite media reports to the contrary
Construction of the eight "new generation" prisons is proceeding  as planned despite media reports to the contrary, Correctional Services Minister Ngconde Balfour said on Tuesday.

Speaking in the National Assembly during debate on his budget vote, he said the reported delays about funds earmarked for the prisons being re-channelled was totally off the mark and misleading.

"No money has been diverted from the budget of the construction of these centres to other programmes in the department," he said.

Building of the four prisons announced by President Thabo Mbeki in 2002 - at Kimberley, Nigel, Klerksdorp and Leeukop - was planned to start last year for completion over three years.

Bulk earthworks had already been done at Kimberley, Nigel and Leeukop, but "undesirable delays" had been caused by responses to calls for tender being beyond the available budget for starting all  four last year.

Also, the environmental impact assessment report on Leeukop construction was expected to be finalised only in August, Balfour said.

Regarding the second group announced by Mbeki this year - at Paarl, Port Shepstone, East London and Polokwane - the department's strategic plan clearly indicated construction was expected to begin in the 2008/09 financial year for completion in 2010/11.

"The environmental impact assessment, the feasibility study, and  identification of public land for the Limpopo centre (Polokwane) is already underway.

"These will inform the decision of the department regarding the construction process and the financing model to be followed.

"Therefore, there is no deviation from the original plan as far as these projects are concerned," he said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Balfour told a media briefing increasing construction costs had had a negative effect on the department's ability to procure and maintain projects conventionally, especially  the new generation 3,000-bed prisons.

Alternatives to the conventional procurement of design and documentation by consultants and separate tenders for construction and maintenance had been explored.

The current public-private-partnership correctional centre contracts had included design, construction, maintenance and operations, but the department was investigating alternatives to address affordability, value for money and accountability concerns.

One option was the project finance model (PFM), which would allow the department to stay accountable for operations, although this might be contracted out.

The rehabilitation and incarceration would be managed by departmental personnel.

Balfour said the model could be managed over 15 years, during which the "unitary payments" would reimburse the contractor for the  cost of construction, maintenance, and upgrading of technology where required.

"Options will be explored of capital contributions for the construction in the feasibility study to be completed."

Outsourcing catering could be considered, along with other services for which the department had problems attracting appropriately skilled staff.

This option allowed the flexibility to include the acquisition of land as part of the private sector contract, where government land was not available.

The PFM would allow the department to concentrate on its core function of incarceration and rehabilitation of offenders, Balfour said.
 
Sapa
Publisher: I-Net Bridge
Source: I-Net Bridge

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.