'Don't argue about centre siting'

Posted On Tuesday, 19 October 2004 02:00 Published by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
The Mandela Bay Development Agency has called on metro residents to hold back arguing about the siting of the proposed international conference centre
By Max Matavire

The Mandela Bay Development Agency has called on metro residents to hold back arguing about the siting of the proposed international conference centre until consultants complete their feasibility study of the four identified sites.

The places under consideration for the R400-million centre are at Something Good, the harbour, Kings Beach and Humerail.

The area around Something Good is being bandied about as the favourite, as confirmed by the agency chief executive Pierre Voges and Mayor Nceba Faku.

"We have appointed reputable international consultants - the ones who did work for the Durban International Conference Centre - to do the work," Mr Voges said. "They will do the environmental impact assessment of a number of sites. Let's not start arguing about the siting of the centre."

He said factors such as proximity to banks, transport, shops and other facilities should be considered when siting such developments. The environmental impact assessment would include all criteria.

"Worldwide, very few conference centres are at the edge of water, but those which are, are unique and very good," he said, giving an example of such a centre in Australia.

Consultants engaged by the metro to do a site study have warned the metro to brace itself for "a huge controversy and resistance" from property owners and environmentalists.

Mr Voges said the demarcated area for the agency jurisdiction had been divided into nine precincts, adding that the most important was that of the CBD-Waterfront.

He said consultants would be appointed at the end of this year to draft a development master plan for the area.

Mr Voges said this precinct had been chosen as a pilot project, adding that if all planned for it worked, the same process would be applied to the other eight precincts.

"We are working on the security plan for the precinct, which is bordered by the Market Square, Strand Street, Russell Road and Chapel Street," he said.

"The plans will include the installation of close circuit cameras, more visible policing, more law enforcing agents, more lighting and other aspects which enhance security."

The security plan will be implemented in the first six months of next year.

Eastern Province Herald


Publisher: Eastern Province Herald
Source: Eastern Province Herald

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.