Public works investigation extended to Cape Town

Posted On Wednesday, 08 May 2013 21:06 Published by Commercial Property News
Rate this item
(0 votes)

The investigation by public works of "prestige" projects such as the renovation of ministerial houses has been extended to Cape Town where about R100m was spent on renovating 11 ministerial houses‚ Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi said Tuesday.

The investigation of all prestige projects in Pretoria had been completed‚ the minister said during a parliamentary media briefing ahead of his budget vote speech in the National Assembly tomorrow. Nxesi said the department had worked closely with the Special Investigations Unit to investigate a number of irregular leases and projects. Of the total of 40 investigations‚ 23 had been completed.
 
"This has resulted in successful disciplinary actions‚ the dismissal of six officials including one deputy director general and court actions to recover monies wrongly paid by the department‚" Mr Nxesi said. The SIU had completed investigations into the renovation of ministerial houses - which in some cases cost more than the houses themselves - and had recommended that the officials involved be disciplined.
 
"SIU investigations together with recent findings of the Competition Commission tell the same story: overpricing and collusion between some officials and sections of the construction industry - a timely reminder that it takes two to tango; that corruption and greed in the private and public sectors are mutually reinforcing each other."
 
He said the prestige projects - related to top political leaders - constituted a "major area of collusion and irregular expenditure". The prestige unit in the department had been centralised to exercise tighter control.
 
Nxesi said the leadership of the department had been stabilised with the appointment of a new director general and a chief financial officer. Addressing the scandal around the over R200m spent on President Jacob Zuma's residence in Nkandla‚ Mr Nxesi said many of the problems surrounding the security upgrade of the complex were rooted in the failure of supply chain management processes‚ poor management and a lack of accountability. The SIU was investigating the matter.
 
He gave the assurance that "no stone is being left unturned" in the drive to uproot corruption. Action would be taken against any official where evidence of wrongdoing existed‚ Nxesi said.
Last modified on Saturday, 18 May 2013 18:27

Most Popular

Redefine Properties appoints Diane Radley to board of directors

Jul 21, 2020
Diane_Radley
JSE-listed diversified Real Estate Investment Trust Redefine Properties (JSE: RDF) has…

Another interest rate cut makes it the ideal time to buy, rather than rent

Jul 23, 2020
Carl Coetzee CEO of BetterBond
With the interest rate at its lowest in decades, after the welcome announcement today of…

Lower house prices in the Western Cape behind renewed interest from first-home-buyers

Jul 16, 2020
Carl Coetzee CEO of BetterBond
Property in the Western Cape is regarded by many as among the most expensive in the…

Lockdown and low interest rates drive huge growth in home loan applications

Jul 17, 2020
oobarometer Q2 2020
The second quarter of 2020 (Q2 20) commenced with two months of lockdown for the real…

Construction resumes on Old Cape Quarter Development

Jul 22, 2020
Old_Cape_Quarter
Following the required pause during lockdown, construction has once again resumed on the…

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.