Nahoon plans put to residents

Posted On Wednesday, 20 May 2009 02:00 Published by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Buffalo City’s latest plans to develop Nahoon into a holiday and sporting precinct were presented to sceptical residents in East London.

By Ntando Makhubu

Buffalo City’s latest plans to develop Nahoon into a holiday and sporting precinct were presented to sceptical residents in East London.

At the third public participation meeting for residents, a draft version of the Nahoon Mouth and Sports Precinct Local Spatial Development Strategy was presented, and it put forward a conceptual framework for the development of specific parcels of land in the East London suburb.

The plans, part of Buffalo City’s grander vision of turning East London into a “lifestyle city”, are an initiative of the Buffalo City Development Agency (BCDA) and include the construction of a golf- themed hotel with a conference facility, and holiday resorts.

Residents, wary of the proposed plans, had previously pointed out other areas that needed development, including a constantly overflowing sewage system and dilapidated infrastructure.

BDCA’s CEO Siphiwo Mdila said the residents had raised their concerns over decaying infrastructure that required priority.

“At this stage we are still presenting a conceptual framework which requires their input,” he said, adding that at Monday night’s meeting they had taken note of the residents’ remarks.

Residents raised, among other issues, the suburb’s old sewerage system, which they felt required upgrading, and questioned how far their input would go towards influencing the final development process .

Stirling ward committee member Melikaya Buti said they remained suspicious of the project, and wondered if the consultation process would be as transparent as necessary.

“They are worried that the planned access road will disturb a green area, and wonder if it was absolutely necessary to construct.”

He said they also noted that the chalets that had been planned for resort accommodation at Nahoon Mouth had been placed too close to the high water mark, putting them in danger of high and rough seas.

“If we get storms as bad as those we had last year they would be destroyed,” he said.

Intengu Communication’s Marius Wium , speaking for the company handling public relations for the proposed development, said he felt the residents had actually been more receptive of the plans.

“They are starting to see the good that can come out of the development, for the city and the suburb,” he claimed.

Anthony Meuleman of Umhlaba Consulting, who presented the draft strategy, said the meeting had been generally positive.

“People ... are protective of their area and would like to be sure that nothing bad will come of it,” he said.

Source: Daily Dispatch


Publisher: I-Net Bridge
Source: I-Net Bridge

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.